[GRASSLIST:4145] batch processing

Charles Krouse Charles.Krouse at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 24 11:47:55 EDT 2002

I am setting up a batch processing routine to ingest CoastWatch avhrr
southeast regional images into grass.  The region covers North Carolina
to Alabama.   Once ingested, I will divide the image into scenes of sst
images off the coast of NC, SC and GA, etc.  I want to output the images
into PNG files.  I can successfully do this with grass5 by using d.mon
start=PNG.  I am not able to do this in a batch process by setting the
enviornmental parameters and executing the commands.  The messages I get
are :

You must start this driver from within GRASS
No socket to connect to for monitor <PNG>.
Problem selecting PNG. Will try once more
No socket to connect to for monitor <PNG>.
No socket to connect to for monitor <PNG>.
No graphics monitor has been selected for output.
Please run "d.mon" to select a graphics monitor.
No graphics monitor has been selected for output.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?  Here is the routine I use that
generates the error message.

f=$(ls *.sstimg)
export GISBASE=/usr/local/grass5
export GISRC=/home/ckrouse/.grassrc5
export PATH=$PATH:$GISBASE/bin:$GISBASE/scripts
export GRASS_PNGFILE=monitor.png
r.in.bin -f north=36.991389 south=22.4899 east=-72.63285 west=-87.9676
c=1160 r=1270 input=$f output=$f
export COLORBASE=/home/ckrouse/coastwatch/seregional/ssts/colr
cp $COLORBASE/sstcolorscale $COLORBASE/$f
d.mon start=PNG
d.mon select=PNG
g.region region=pamlicosound
d.rast $f
d.points color=black size=10 type=box file=monitorlabel.dat
d.points color=black size=5 type=x file=monitor.dat
d.points color=black size=5 type=+ file=monitor.dat
d.points color=black size=5 type=diamond file=monitor.dat
d.mon stop=PNG

Thanks.

                                                Charlie