[GRASSLIST:4146] Re: batch processing

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jul 24 17:38:48 EDT 2002

Charles Krouse wrote:

> I am setting up a batch processing routine to ingest CoastWatch avhrr
> southeast regional images into grass.  The region covers North Carolina
> to Alabama.   Once ingested, I will divide the image into scenes of sst
> images off the coast of NC, SC and GA, etc.  I want to output the images
> into PNG files.  I can successfully do this with grass5 by using d.mon
> start=PNG.  I am not able to do this in a batch process by setting the
> enviornmental parameters and executing the commands.  The messages I get
> are :
>
> You must start this driver from within GRASS
> No socket to connect to for monitor <PNG>.
> Problem selecting PNG. Will try once more
> No socket to connect to for monitor <PNG>.
> No socket to connect to for monitor <PNG>.
> No graphics monitor has been selected for output.
> Please run "d.mon" to select a graphics monitor.
> No graphics monitor has been selected for output.

Exactly which version of GRASS5 are you using? The monitor code has
changed substantially over the course of GRASS5 development.

> Can anyone tell me how to do this?  Here is the routine I use that
> generates the error message.
>
> f=$(ls *.sstimg)
> export GISBASE=/usr/local/grass5
> export GISRC=/home/ckrouse/.grassrc5

In recent versions, the check for whether the program is being run
inside GRASS is invariably based upon one or both of these two
environment variables.

For me, running the current version of GRASS5, setting GISBASE, GISRC
and PATH is sufficient for "d.mon start=PNG" to run without error.