[GRASSLIST:3836] Re: Export DEM?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Jun 6 10:44:26 EDT 2002

Daniel Victoria writes:
 > a 2.0 Gb file

Be careful!  Some unices cannot write to a file larger than 2.147E9
bytes because of file system 32-bit restrictions.  Files that large
may be truncated by a program which does not check to see if its
writes fail.  Writes fail so infrequently that you never know if a
program checks without auditing its entire source code.  I haven't
done that to any part of grass, so please don't take this as an
indictment of GRASS.  Even if GRASS was perfectly clean, it uses
files with a documented format that can be manipulated by other tools,
and those tools may have a write problem.

Just be careful when you're working with files that large to make sure
that your data doesn't get truncated.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | I don't want to give up
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | essential liberty to obtain