[GRASSLIST:3851] Re: s.surf.idw help

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at csiro.au
Tue Jun 11 02:19:35 EDT 2002

Sounds like you are running out of swap space.

I gave up on s.surf.idw on my data set. After I gave it about 3GB of
swap space it managed to process 3% of the data over a weekend, so I
killed it.

If you have any luck with settings that work in reasonable time, let me
know.

To monitor your swap usage you can use utilities like top, xosview etc
(they're the ones I use, but there are many others that will do the
job).

If you are running out of swap space it is fairly easy to create a swap
file and add it to your current swap area:

su
dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/swapfile bs=1024 count=2048000
mkswap /var/swapfile
swapon /var/swapfile

Will create a 2GB (approx) swapfile called /var/swapfile, format it as
swapfile and add it to the swap space.

The file can reside anywhere on the local file system, so long as it it
created using the preceding commands. On a faster disk is of course
better for performance. Swapfiles bigger than 2GB only work on very
recent kernels, so I'd recommend sticking with 2GB or less and use more
than one if you want more than 2GB extra swap space. (I used 2x2GB
swapfiles and a 1.5GB swap partition when I was playing with
s.surf.idw).

If you no longer need the swap space but need the disk space you can
free it with:

su
swapoff /var/swapfile
rm /var/swapfile

The swapoff command will only work when there are no pages currently in
the swapfile.  See man pages for mkswap, swapon and swapoff for
details.

Hope this helps
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith
Programmer/Data Analyst

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
- Pablo Picasso, 1968