[GRASSLIST:3876] Projection and m.in.e00

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Thu Jun 13 13:37:49 EDT 2002

Hi, all.

Thanks to those who replied to my last question (about v.in.shape).
Now I've come up with one about m.in.e00.

I converted some ARC/INFO Coverages to e00 format with avcexport from
the avce00 suite.  That part went okay.  If I try to import the e00
into my current mapset under GRASS with m.in.e00, I get an error about
an invalid value for the north bound.  I read about the projection
problems with m.in.e00 in the manpage, so I specified a new mapset
when I ran the command again.  There were no errors that way, but
something's still out of whack.  Here's the projection info from
v.info on the map that I imported (which is of Carroll County, VA):

    Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone 0)
              N:     104035    S:      62514
	            E:     -85283    W:    -137642

I know that the original projection for the coverage was lat/lon, so
that part should be right, but those values don't look good to me. :)
I can tell it, too, when I use d.vect to display the newly created
map--it is stretched vertically.

Is there anything I can do about all this?  BTW, I tried using
m.in.e00 with verbose=1 to see what the region for the map should be,
but it didn't appear to tell me:

GRASS:~/grass5.0 > m.in.e00 input=carroll_roads.e00 mapset=junk
verbose=1
"carroll_roads.e00" successfully opened
ARC  3
Arc coverage : 1921 arcs (22488 points)
CNT  3
LAB  3
Label table : 405 entries
PAL  3
PAL : 405 polygons (3849 arcs referenced)
TOL  3
TX6  3
SIN  3
PRJ  3
IFO  3
ROADS.TIC XX 3 20 4
ROADS.BND XX 4 32 1
INFO table .BND
Creating region
ROADS.PAT XX 4 24 405
ROADS.TATSMALL XX 11 74 641
ROADS.AAT XX 24 150 1921
Writing cats file "roads.county-code"
Writing cats file "roads.route-name"
Writing cats file "roads.route"
Writing cats file "roads.alt-routes"
Writing cats file "roads.road-type"
Writing cats file "roads.surface-type"
Writing cats file "roads.bridge-code"
Writing cats file "roads.symbol"
Writing cats file "roads.chgby"
Writing cats file "roads.chgdate"
Writing cats file "roads.level"
Writing cats file "roads.color"
Writing cats file "roads.style"
Writing cats file "roads.weight"
Writing cats file "roads.district"
Writing cats file "roads.sequence"
Writing cats file "roads.sub_code"
ROADS.NAT XX 10 76 1520
ROADS.TATMAIN XX 11 74 1410
getinfo returns Cover_type = 3
EOS
Creating dig_att(L) file "roads"
Updating dig_att(A) file "roads"
Import of roads complete

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

The trouble with money is it costs too much!