[GRASSLIST:3883] Re: Projection and m.in.e00

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Jun 15 17:20:01 EDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 07:41:21AM -0400, Ben Logan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 09:49:27AM -0400, Kirk Schmidt wrote:
> > I am not familiar with the m.in.e00 however, your projection is
> > incorrect:  The coordinates are not lat/long.
> > The original data may have been in lat/long, but appears to have been
> > reprojected to another projection/datum. I don't recognize
> > the coordinate system as you reported them.
> >
> > How about converting the data to a shapefile outside of grass and using
> > v.in.shape .
>
> I spent a good deal of time this morning searching the web for such a
> utility.  Apparently, there isn't an Open Source utility to go from
> e00 to shp, but I did find a message to the FreeGIS list in which
> Jan-Oliver Wagner says the following:

there is... :-)

[...]
> Apparently AVECE00 and AVCE00 are the same package.  I also found the
[...]

Use this utility to turn the e00 file into a binary ARC coverage and
then 'ogr2ogr' (from GDAL) on that to generate a SHAPE file.

But I am not convinced that this is a good idea, since E00 is better
than SHAPE. It may be recommended to try harder the E00 import which
is known to be functional.

Best,

 Markus