[GRASSLIST:3898] m.in.e00: Attaching cat labels to lines.

Ben Logan ben at wblogan.net
Mon Jun 17 08:39:34 EDT 2002

The Virginia DOT has put out a CDROM containing the data (as ARC/INFO
Coverages) they use to make county maps.  Thanks to you folks I have
been able to convert the coverages to e00 files, and import those into
GRASS.  Now my only problem has to do with the dig_cats files.

When I import the coverage for the roads in a county, m.in.e00 creates
the roads.* files in dig_cats just like expected.  However, if I copy,
for example, roads.route (which contains the route numbers for all the
roads) to roads, and run v.support, the labels are attached to
_areas_.  This also matches what v.support says when it is run.  I.e.,
it says there are 300+ areas, several thousand lines, and 300+ labels.

I don't think this is a problem with m.in.e00, but I don't understand
why road numbers would be used as area category labels.  Seems
perfectly useless to me.  I don't think it is m.in.e00's fault because
when I import the road data files from the SAA Database, the labels go
with the lines, and not areas.

Thanks,
Ben

--