[GRASSLIST:3956] Re: A question about labeling

Steve Kimball kimball at signatron.com
Tue Jun 25 16:30:20 EDT 2002

Charles,

I am working on a contract funded by the Army to locate emitters
on various freqencies in a 5 miles area.  We are using GPS at
3 sensing locations, so we know long/lat positions.  We can get
the longitude/latitude of the emittor, then we need to plot a point
on a map.  The Army like GRASS.  The Army has developed and uses GRASS.
They like standard platforms like Linux.  So where can we get data to
use with
GRASS to display a street map with labels so we can plot in
long/lat coordinates?  The Americal Fact Finder is great.
Can we use ESRI IMS data with GRASS?
Thanks for the help.

Steve Kimball
Signatron Technologies

charles.e.dingman at census.gov wrote:

The American Fact Finder uses ESRI IMS.  For our other maps, we use a
text
placement system (TPS) developed at Rutgers.

Charles Dingman, Geographer/301-457-4307/Rm 425, WP-1
Geography Division, US Census/Washington, DC 20233-7400