[GRASSLIST:3960] Compiling GDAL

Scott Holmes scottholmes at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 26 10:47:34 EDT 2002

Please excuse me if this is an inappropriate place for GDAL questions,
but the link to archives on the GDAL page insisted on pointing to yahoo
"adult" content discussion groups.  I have just recently started looking
at GRASS, using a CVS checkout.  It compiles and runs okay, as far as I
have been able to tell.  I've found, however, that gdal is a separate
package so I have a CVS checkout of this as well.  Unfortunately, upon
running r.in.gdal, I get a segmentation fault.

I suspect that GDAL did not compile correctly as there are some failures
  noted during configuration:  -ldbmalloc, dbmalloc.h, -lgrass5,
-lcfitsio, and -logdi31.  I suppose the problem could also be related to
the data I'm experimenting with.  The readme file contained within the
tarred and compress data directory indicate:

   "This directory contains a Spatial Data Transfer Standard
(SDTS)-compliant raster profile transfer, produced by the National
Mapping Program of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)."

        "All files with extension *.DDF are in the ISO 8211 file transfer
         format. All SDTS spatial addresses are expressed in two 32-bit
         binary subfields defined by the ISO 8211.  Files are Level 2 of
         ISO 8211."

I don't have a dbmalloc.h on my system (Red Hat Linux 7.2).  My grass5
is in /usr/local/, and I am unfamiliar with cfitsio and logdi31.  Any
advise on configuration options or other ideas about the segmentation
faults would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Scott Holmes                   http://sholmes.ws
                                http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottholmes
                                scottholmes at sbcglobal.net

   Independent Programmer/Analyst                  Passport 4GL
   PHP HTML Composer                PostgreSQL     Informix 4GL, SQL