[GRASSLIST:3324] Re: Can't run Grass5.0, Windows/Cygwin

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Mar 11 14:41:35 EST 2002

Claudia Bergrath wrote:

> Hi! Sorry, to bother with questions like this!
>
> I followed the instructions for installing Grass5 for Windows/Cygwin on NT.
> After setting the GISBASE location I tried the tcltkgrass command but the
> bash.exe returned "command not found". I tried to start grass5 again and the
> message appeared
> "libX11.dll is not found in the directory /programme/cygwin/usr/local/bin"
> and
> "invalid return code from gis_set.tcl. Please advise Grass developers of
> this error. c:/programme/cygwin/usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: GISDBASE:
> parameter not set".
> I found the libX11.dll in the local directory
> "/programme/Cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin" and I have no idea where I went wrong
> during installation.
> Hope, someone can help me.
> Claudia

Hi Claudia,

some thoughts:
did you install the xtcltk8.0.5-CYGWIN_..tar.gz binary?
did you install the XFree86 Server?

If yes, please download the startxgrass.bat batch file, store it
somewhere and execute it. This startup-script should set up and start
the x server and issue the grass login sequence. But you need to edit
the line:
set CYGWIN=\cygwin
set CYGWIN=\programme\cygwin
if the install directory of cygwin is \programme\cygwin .

Grass for cygwin is still experimental and not yet ready for day-to-day
usage.

You can use grass from within the cygwin shell (but without tcltkgrass
and graphical output, _or_ start grass with startxgrass.bat and use it
with the XFree86 Server and xterminal, then tcltkgrass and the graphical
monitors work.

HTH,

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.lycos.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net