[GRASSLIST:3683] Re: problem importing e00 files

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Fri May 17 14:24:18 EDT 2002

"Allard, Yannick (EXP)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problem importing .e00 file with grass 5 (and grass4.3). The problem
> is for polygon coverage. The export format of arc/info for polygon coverage
> do not include any PAL or PAT section but only an AAT section, so grass
> doesn't recognize it as a polygon coverage. It is possibly due to a change
> in arc/info .e00 file in the new version of arc/info.

I wonder if there is fundamental changes in e00 format : when an e00
file doesn't contain a PAL (polygon label) section and if there is
only an AAT (Arc Attribute Table) and no PAT (Polygon/point Attribute
Table) in the IFO section, that simply means that your ESRI coverage
is a LINE coverage and not a polygon coverage... e00 files have a point
inside each poly to label them (hence the same as Grass)

> in the last version the files were name like ******l.** for lines entity,
> ******a.** for area but the new version saves area file like ******d.*** for
> "line entity delineating an area".

Well... maybe some new section ?  I your file is not confidential (and not
too big ;-), can you send me one privately : I will look at it.
But don't rely too much on file names : generaly, it's only a convention !
When line entities delineate area, you have PAT and AAT sections...

> I have try everything that I've saw in the grass list concerning the e00
> files but none of them work. I have no problem with m.in.e00 for generating
> the vector map but when I try to generate a raster, it just won't work
> properly cause no polygon are detected. ( I have also tried to change all L
> by A in the files generated by grass but it dont do anything).

Yes, without a dig_att file to point inside each poly, you have just the
limits...

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton