[GRASSLIST:3726] RE: help ASCII

H. Bowman ihatejunkyabastards at yahoo.com
Thu May 23 00:05:23 EDT 2002

--- christian.ayala at macosa.com wrote:
> Hello to all I have a file in format ASCII and desire to transform to
> raster that steps I must follow and that I must assure that the file has
> so
> that ningun is not had error at the moment of the conversion.
> The commando whom they indicated to me that he uses is r.in.ascii
>
> I need more information about yours use!!

Be sure have THREE columns of data.

Trying to import X, Y data comes back with a floating point error, not
very helpful.

If you don't have Z or attribute data for each position, just load the
data up in a spreadsheet (if it is relatively small) and add a third
column of zeros, and then it should work.
Wasted a couple of hours figuring that one out. help:  man s.in.ascii

e.g:
s.in.ascii input=FileName.txt sites=SitesName fs=tab

Also of note:
s.to.rast only converts each X,Y site to a raster (little dots), if you
want an interpolated surface, use s.surf.rst.