[GRASSLIST:5012] Re: reporting statistics from clumps of pixels

Scott W Mitchell smitch at eos.geog.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 20 12:59:06 EST 2002

I've done this a few different ways.  #1 is most powerful, my preferred
method these days as long as data volume / processing time isn't a
problem.  But it requires another software package to be installed.  #2
is the most portable solution, using tools programs you probably
already have.  #3 creates exactly what you want with one command, but
is a custom local command here with no documentation yet and very
little testing - having said that, I'm quite willing to share if you
can be patient.

Also note that similar questions have been asked on this list in the
past, and if you haven't already, do a search of the archives, there
are probably more possiblities than I list here...

(1) Use Roger Bivand's GRASS/R interface.  Very elegant and enables
much more.  Start GRASS, set region etc, then start R, read in the
elevation map and the clump map, then use the tapply() function in R to
get averages of elevation in each clump.  There is more learning curve
in this than some other solutions, but if like me you already use R, no
problem.  See www.R-project.org for info on R, and
ftp://sunsite.ualberta.ca/pub/Mirror/grass-web/statsgrass/
index.html#grassR (or equivalent URL at GRASS mirror of your choice)
for info on the interface.

(2) Use r.average as you've said, the problem is that it produces a map
not a table - so for one project I created a temporary raster of the
averages, then used r.stats (&/or r.cats if necessary depending on the
data) and some unix text processing utilities to print out a table of
the values that are produced in the  raster.  Also possible (and for
other statistics) with r.statistics.  These used to be integer-only
tools, I think, perhaps they've been updated ?  If this much detail
doesn't make sense to you, contact me directly and I can dig up some
old example scripts I used to do this.

(3) We developed our own program in the lab here, back in grass4.3
days, which I now call "r.polystats", and I have it working in grass5.
The advantage is that it does produce text tables by default as opposed
to maps (which are also an option).
The problem is that I haven't updated it to work with floating point
data yet. Also, it has next to no documentation and the grass5 version
isn't tested by anyone besides myself yet.  However, if after looking
at all the options this still sounds interesting to you and you're
willing to compile software, let me know and we can talk about getting
it on your system.

Cheers,
Scott Mitchell
smitch at geog.utoronto.ca