[GRASSLIST:5047] Re: 100KM raduis viewshed

Dan Jacobson jidanni at dman.ddts.net
Sun Nov 24 00:15:44 EST 2002

We have considered the earth's curvature, but um, "The Effect Of
Atmospheric Refraction On The Observed Elevation Angles Of Peaks"
http://tchester.org/sgm/analysis/peaks/refraction.html indeed affected
my results.  Without considering it some peaks visible in binoculars
would sink behind other peaks in d.3d's drawing.  So now I'm OK with

$ xc=235480 yc=2675355
$ r.mapcalc "nantou.bend=round(nantou-((x()-$xc)^2+(y()-$yc)^2)*.0000000675)"
which I found in a local textbook.
I suppose I won't fret about height and temperature, as they seem to
cancel out on the above webpage, though I could easily utilize FROM
and TO heights if there was a simple formula available.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780