[GRASSLIST:4610] Re: Use of -i option in m.in.e00

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Oct 1 02:32:53 EDT 2002

On Monday 30 September 2002 09:50 pm, Michel Wurtz wrote:
> On most e00 files, each object has a different ID number, so you can use
> ID or # with quite the same result. The only diff will be the contents of
> dig_att and dig_cat : the grass attribute number is normaly the feature-#,
> but will be the feature-ID when the -i flag is given.  Some peoples prefers
> that.
>
> I personnaly think that the -i flag may be suppressed (it is mostly here
> for historical reasons when my knowledge of e00 format was pretty poor)

I think, that feature-ID is closer to the category (dig_att) in GRASS. If
more lines in e00 have the same feature-ID (i.e. one object consists of more
graphic elements) we want to get the same in GRASS. Otherwise dig_cat
(database record) would be duplicated, which is not desired. The link map->db
should be many-to-one in this case.

Radim