[GRASSLIST:4634] GRASS 5.0.0 on OS X Jaguar & lock problem solved

Quim Soler i Subils SOLERSUBILS at telefonica.net
Thu Oct 3 19:03:56 EDT 2002

Hello everybody,

I'have compiled grass5.0.0 successfully on Mac os x 10.2.1 (Jaguar) and now
it's runing. However some days ago I found myself in the sme situation that
Mitchell Scott W. reports. In order to solve it I readed this
message from de developers list between Glynn Clements and Andy Agena,
another mac user:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2002-September/003922.html

Quickly explained, the problem is that /src/general/init wants to link
libedit.a (built from /src/libes/edit) but it fails and symbol problems
appear. The compilation of GRASS doesn't stop but the
/usr/local/grass5/etc/lock executable is not built and you cannot start
grass.

The linking fails because /src/general/init doesn't link with the grass
library libedit.a because it attempts to link with a Jaguar library called
libedit.2.dylib (who lives in /usr/lib/libedit.2.dylib). In order to force
GRASS to use its library and not the Jaguar one you must proceed as the
above message explains

>    It may be that the linker prefers *.dylib to *.a, regardless of
>    location. In which case, the only solution would be to change the
>    name. Try changing the corresponding lines in src/CMD/generic/make.mid
>    from:
>
>            DEPEDITLIB     = $(LIBDIR)/libedit.a
>            EDITLIB        = -ledit
>   to:
>            DEPEDITLIB     = $(LIBDIR)/libgedit.a
>            EDITLIB        = -lgedit

>Then re-compile (you might need to run "make clean" first).

Then the linking it's well done, the lock executable is built and you can
start grass. Well, this worked for me and I think you are in the same
situation.

Finally, I would announce to the mac users another "success story" ;-) in
compiling the vis5d+ data viewer (http://grass.itc.it/grid3d/index.html) on
Jaguar. I expect to use this program as a replacement for the GRID3D view
modules, which I could never compile (in my linuxppc were unusable and on
mac os X they didn't compile). The compilation of vis5d+ was hard due to
problems with the makefile, which I changed a little in a not very elegant
action-error tactic... However now this program is running well and if
anybody needs the makefile I will send it.

Good night friends,
Quim Soler i Subils