[GRASSLIST:4635] Re: GRASS 5.0.0 on OS X Jaguar (10.2.1)

Dennis Flanigan dennis.flanigan at mesanetworks.net
Thu Oct 3 19:15:14 EDT 2002

Scott-

I have Grass5 running under Jaguar on a G4.   The binaries (5pre4)
on the Grass web site really don't work well for 10.2, so I downloaded
the source code and compiled using the gcc that came with Jaguar/10.2.
I essentially had a clean system before I started this process.

Please note that I am new to GRASS, everything I have tried
seems to work so far, but when it comes to GRASS, I am still
at the "poking at it" stage.

I have not fooled with the database stuff yet....

Source Code:
Change the corresponding lines in src/CMD/generic/make.mid
from:
	DEPEDITLIB     = $(LIBDIR)/libedit.a
	EDITLIB        = -ledit
to:
	DEPEDITLIB     = $(LIBDIR)/libgedit.a
	EDITLIB        = -lgedit

XDarwin
------------
I was already using XDarwin before I upgraded to 10.2.  I had to install
a patch for XDarwin to work under 10.2.   The X11 package is installed
in /usr/X11R6.  I am also using OroborOSX for the window manager.

FinkCommander
-----------------------
When I installed these libraries I was already up to 10.2.  If you
originally compiled/installed libraries  in 10.1.x,  I would suggest
you recompiled
them all.   Fink likes to install libraries and such in /sw .  Using
FinkCommander
I compiled and installed these libraries:

	fftw        (fftw seemed to take a long time to compile)
	gzip
	libjpeg
	libtiff
          libpng
	zlib
          tcltk
	gd
	freetype2

I think that was a complete list.  Unfortunately I didn't take notes
on this part.  Someone  please correct me if I am wrong.

configure
-------------
I used this configure command:

	./configure --with-includes=/sw/include  -- with-libs=/sw/lib
--with-opengl-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
	--with-opengl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-postgres=no --with-odbc=no

To compile:

	make >& make.log

I am using tcsh.   The >& redirects both standard out and standard
error to the file make.log.
To install:

  	make install

And it work !