[GRASSLIST:4698] Re: A GRASS GIS Approach ?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Oct 10 03:45:35 EDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:47:01AM -0600, Jack Varga wrote:
> Russell Nelson wrote:
> > Gulp!  Is _A GRASS GIS Approach_ available anywhere for less than the
> > $110 that OpenOSX is charging (http://openosx.com/grassbook/index.html)?
> > I guess that's a reasonable price for a textbook, but it seems like a
> > bit much for mere users of the software.
>
> As gratefull as I am to Markus and Helena that does sound a bit much.
> Out of reach for me personally, even though I'd sure like to have a
> copy.  Half that price would probably generate three times the sales.
>
> Is there a reason its so expensive?  110 times the cost of some very
> good software.

The book price was defined by Kluwer Academics Publisher while they were
printing it (not earlier). Authors were unfortunately unable to influence
that decision.

People from Europe may check here:
 http://mpa.itc.it/grassbook/
to get it for 80 Euro.

Barnes & Noble sold it for some weeks for 80 USD, but they changed to
the list price as well.

Regards,

 Markus Neteler