[GRASSLIST:4742] Re: opengl compile problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Oct 14 19:59:25 EDT 2002

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> 9.0. The problem was that my libGLU somehow got built as a C++
> library.

The "somehow" is basically that SGI's libGLU is written in C++. The
original Mesa libGLU was written in C, but that has since been
officially deprecated in favour of SGI's version (primarily because
the Mesa folks never got the GLU 1.2 tesellator to work).

Mesa 3.5 and later includes both SGI's libGLU (in the si-glu
directory) and the original Mesa version (in src-glu). The SGI version
is built on systems which are likely to have a C++ compiler (e.g.
Linux). Also XFree86 4.x includes SGI's libGLU.

The real problem was that your libGLU.so doesn't have an explicit
dependency upon libstdc++. If it had such a dependency, that would
have caused libstdc++ to be linked automatically, thus eliminating the
problem.

In any case, it's worth having the check in case anyone wants to link
with a static libGLU (e.g. for debugging), as static libraries don't
have dependency information.