[GRASSLIST:4781] Help! - newbie getting started

Carl, Brian bcarl at icrc-detroit.net
Fri Oct 18 17:05:11 EDT 2002

I've read through the overview and FAQ, and am quite overwhelmed.  I'm not a
GIS person, but rather a software engineer trying to develop a simple
map-generation piece for a telematics system I'm doing.

Basically all I need to do is translate GPS coordinates into a reasonably
scaled map of street/city information (like a road map).  The map needs to
be easily integrated into a Web page (I'll be using PHP).  My server will be
running Red Hat 8.x (though I might have to start with OS X -- my boss is a
Mac addict).

Where should I start?  Where do I get my data?  What tools do I need?

Any pointers are appreciated.

/brc

--
Brian R. Carl