[GRASSLIST:4811] Re: Alternate ODBCs in SuSE 8.1

John Dougherty jwd at softcom.net
Wed Oct 23 20:16:38 EDT 2002

> John Dougherty wrote:
> > I just recompiled GRASS 5.0 for SuSE 8.1.  Most of the process proved
> > reasonably straightforward.  However, the ODB library(ies) proved a
> > little problematic.  There are obdc libs installed with main
> > installation, however GRASS seems to be in need of the unixODBC, or at
> > least that seemed to be what solved the problem.  SuSE however, alerts
> > repeatedly that the unixODBC and the libodbc already installed can cause
> > conflicts and may destablize the system.  Are there any recommendations
> > about handling this from the GRASS team?
>
> Install UnixODBC where other programs won't find it, i.e. somewhere
> other than /usr/{include,lib} or /usr/local/{include,lib}; e.g.
> /opt/UnixODBC/{include,lib}.
>
> When configuring GRASS, use --with-odbc-includes= and
> --with-odbc-libs= to tell the configure script where to find it.
>
> Once GRASS has been installed, add the library directory (e.g.
> /opt/UnixODBC/lib) to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting in
> $GISBASE/etc/Init.sh.
>
> However, this typically won't work if you use tcltkgrass and xterm is
> setuid root, as setuid programs discard the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> In that case, build a static version of the UnixODBC library instead
> of a shared library (use --enable-static and --disable-shared).

Glenn,

Thanks for the response.  I AM using tcltkgrass (therebye hangs yet another
tail).  Since my system is stand alone and things are working, I have filed
your message and I will watch things develope - or not.  The SuSE YAST2
installer did not offer an option to relocate the package so I am not going
to meddle further yet, 8.0 worked fine as installed without any announcements
of potential conflicts or --with-odbc-inludes.

John