[GRASSLIST:4419] (no subject)

Miha STAUT mihastaut at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 4 04:24:56 EDT 2002

Hello,

I am almost a complete beginner in the field of Grass. I have only gone
through some of the tutorials provided. During the learning of these basic
concepts some questions arose.
1.
How to apply in NVIZ a different resolution from the underlying     surface
resolution without loosing the smoothness? For example how you drape an
ortophoto over a DEM? It seems like the program shifts to a simple Voronoi
interpolation. Anything I tried, I got a step like surface.
2.
How can you change projection without an extensive knowledge in cartography?
E.g. how can I change the mercator projection found in GTOPO30 to let's say
lambert conical or delisle conical. I know Grass supports a lot of
projections but r.proj seems to be to complicated.
3.
I have problems with exporting vector files into the Idrisi file format. The
command performed was:
v.out.idrisi type=line in=grass_vector out=idrisi_prefix
The program complained about a "segmentation fault". I do not know what
could that mean. I also know there are other ways of importing into Idrisi
but I want to know how to manage it this way.
4.
How can I crop a raster image? I know for the existence of r.mask, but I
would also like to know how to physically crop an image. Besides I do not
know how to make with r.mask an exact window of the area of interest (e.g.
with the definition of the border coordinates).
5.
Why Grass in some operations works in two different modes (you can choose
between the fast but memory intensive and the slow mode), e.g.
r.surf.contour? Other programs no matter what, work always with the same
speed. Slow but memory non intensive mode is really very slow even with
small rasters. If you try to choose the fast mode and you run out of memory
it automatically switches in the slow mode. Is there anything you can do,
not to run in neither the trouble without having to add more memory?

Regards, Miha Staut