[GRASSLIST:4445] Re: Unable to properly access /home/piero/.gislock5

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Sep 9 18:55:51 EDT 2002

Piero Cavalieri wrote:

> I have compiled  grass5.0.0pre4 locally (glibc 2.2.4 on Mandrake 8.2).
> The make command didn't return errors, but the make install yes:
>
> make[1]: *** [real-install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/piero/grass/grass5.0.0pre4'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> However it seems to have all in the right places, but
> when I launch grass5 I have:
>
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/Init.sh: /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock: No such file
> or directory
> Unable to properly access /home/piero/.gislock5
>
> I don't have /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock but I have /usr/local/grass5/locks.
> Is this the problem? (I tried a  "ln -s /usr/local/grass5/locks
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock" but this isn't the solution).

This is a known problem, due to a bad interaction between dubious code
and certain versions of gcc, in the file src/libes/edit/edit_cellhd.c
(if you check the output from "make", you will find that the first
error references this file).

Doing any one of the following should solve the problem:

1. Update to a later version of GRASS (it's fixed in the final 5.0.0
release).

2. Update just that file from the CVS archive; the following URL will
provide the correct version of that file:

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass/src/libes/edit/edit_cellhd.c?rev=1.4

3. Fix the file manually, by changing the return type of
format_value() from "double" to "void".

4. Try changing the optimisation switches, e.g.

	CFLAGS='-g -O3' ./configure ...
or
	CFLAGS='-g -march=pentiumpro' ./configure ...