[GRASSLIST:4514] Re: GRASS and Urban Planning

Roberto Micarelli mi.ro at iol.it
Mon Sep 16 14:51:29 EDT 2002

On Monday 16 September 2002 21:31, Michael Coughlan wrote:
> I am new to GIS, and am interested in reapplying my IT experience to Urban
> Planning. I have GRASS running with Xwin, tcl, and am going through the
> sawfish DB, and the manual; but I was disappointed to read that GRASS has
> little support for Urban parameters such as traffic, sewage, trains, etc.
>
> Is there anyone out there who is using GRASS for Urban settings? If so, are
> these parameters fudged or just ignored?
>
> In the past, I've done best just getting a hold of the software and reading
> the manual.  I had hoped to hone my skills for this possible career change,
> but am wondering how far I can get, if the package I am learning from is
> mostly used for forestry and ecology projects. Perhaps I'd do best to get a
> hold of another commercial package?
>
> I'd much prefer to join an open source community. Any opinions?

We just started the development of early vector network analysis functions,
traffic analysis and simulation would be a natural application. If you are
available to help in someway we can start talking about it. We not only need
developers but also users capable to submit consistent requirements and to be
very patient :)
Ciao. Roberto
P.S.:
I agree with your open source view