[GRASSLIST:4510] GRASS and Urban Planning

Michael Coughlan mcoughlan at gothambroadband.com
Mon Sep 16 15:31:17 EDT 2002

I am new to GIS, and am interested in reapplying my IT experience to Urban
Planning. I have GRASS running with Xwin, tcl, and am going through the
sawfish DB, and the manual; but I was disappointed to read that GRASS has
little support for Urban parameters such as traffic, sewage, trains, etc.

Is there anyone out there who is using GRASS for Urban settings? If so, are
these parameters fudged or just ignored?

In the past, I've done best just getting a hold of the software and reading
the manual.  I had hoped to hone my skills for this possible career change,
but am wondering how far I can get, if the package I am learning from is
mostly used for forestry and ecology projects. Perhaps I'd do best to get a
hold of another commercial package?

I'd much prefer to join an open source community. Any opinions?