[GRASSLIST:4509] Re: Importing E00 files

roger roger at spinn.net
Mon Sep 16 12:33:31 EDT 2002

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to import a set of E00 files from ArcInfo into
> Grass,
> and I am having some problems.
>
> 1) Are E00 files georeferenced? Should I set up a LOCATION
> in a
> non-georeferenced coordinate system, or is there a way to
> use
> information in the E00 file?

The E00 files contain whatever georeferencing information
was exported from ArcInfo.  You need to import them to a
location with the matching specifications.  If you aren't
sure about the coordinate system for the original data then
you might be able to find out what they are by setting the
verbose level in m.in.e00 to a higher number (7 for
instance) then running it with "action=analyse".

> 2) m.in.e00 seems to import the file. However, I am unable
> display the resulting vector map afterwards. Do I need to
> convert
> the vector map to raster or something else to display the
> map?

No, you should be able to see the results without any
further conversions.  You should run any vector file output
through v.support.

The default action of m.in.e00 is to export the E00 contents
to a file with the same name.  The file could be a vector
file, raster file or a sites file -- and maybe more than one
-- with the same name as the E00 file (less the suffix).  If
the E00 file provides more than one attribute per item then
m.in.e00 will also create multiple cats files and you will
need to figure out which of the cats files you need to use.

The documentation on m.in.e00 is fairly complete.

Roger Miller