[GRASSLIST:4552] putting site lists into DXF format.

Nigel McFarlane nrm at kingtide.com.au
Sat Sep 21 04:04:38 EDT 2002

Thanks all for the help I received recently on projections.
I can now project anything, and my science education project is
a little closer to real.

I'm having trouble converting site lists to DXF format, though.

I've got MS-Excel files of site locations I want to
project and ultimately get into Adobe Illustrator. DXF format
seems the most likely solution. I though these steps would
work:

0. convert .XLS to a .CSV format that s.in.ascii can read. (OK)

	file line format: longitude,latitude,"string"

1. s.in.ascii fs=, sites=mysites input=filename.csv (OK)

2. change locations, re-project with s.proj (OK)

# next bit seems to be necessary as, I don't have
# an existing vector layer for s.to.vect to work with.

3. mkdir dst_loc/map_name/dig_att
     mkdir dst_loc/map_name/dig_cats

4. s.to.vect input=mysites output=myvectors cat=string,1 (BAD)

5. v.out.ascii input=myvectors output=myvectors (OK?)

6. v.out.dxf input=myvectors output=file.dxf (BAD?)

At step 4. I lose the descriptive string for each site.
Are my tactics in step 3 terrible? Then in step 6., the
final DXF contains headers but no data at all.

Am I missing something obvious, or (the big picture) is there a
better way to project site lists and have the result readable
by Illustrator? The only vector formats it supports are
DXF, DWG, SWF and PostScript. I've looked at ps.map and
it'll be wonderful one day.

thanks & regards, Nigel.