[GRASSLIST:5994] Re: s.to.rast problem

Stu SEDWARDS2 at cinci.rr.com
Wed Apr 9 18:03:09 EDT 2003

Thanks for your response.

Glynn Clements wrote:

> No. There are two common approaches to finding out the cause. One is
> trial-and-error (i.e. looking for specific factors which might cause
> the problem). The other is to use a debugger.

>  I was afraid it might come down to that.  Is it significant that
recently there have been quite a number of requests for assistance/
comments on segfaults -- even today (see 5990), 5955 on April 3 and 5889
on March 27 -- in relation to the use of r.to.rast?

> One issue to consider when creating or editing text files on a Mac is
> that historically the Mac has used CR (carriage return, ASCII code 13)
> as the end-of-line character, while Unix (and hence GRASS) uses LF
> (line feed, ASCII code 10). Text files which look correct in a text
> editor may not be interpreted correctly by other problems.
>
> You can convert CR to LF using:
>
>         tr '\r' '\n' < oldfile > newfile

> Thanks for the conversion -- I have previously used BBedit's Mac to
Unix conversion, but that is cumbersome.  In this case I had studiously
tried to avoid Mac cr's (using v.digit generated files edited in vi) and
the fact that r.surf.rst executed successfully suggests this may not be
the problem.

Thanks again
Stu