[GRASSLIST:6000] Re: Postgress and GRASS CD

Piero Cavalieri grasspiero at tiscali.it
Thu Apr 10 05:00:16 EDT 2003

John Chesnut wrote:

> Can some one who has experience getting Postgres interoperating with
> Grass on Mac OSX please post step by step instructions.

I have Linux, maybe works the same.

> sudo -u postgres /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data

You don't need the the -i option if you use UNIX sockets. (You specify
the type of connection
in pg_hba.conf).

> this reports the error
> FATAL: no such group 'pgsql'

On my system during the installation of postgres was created user
'postgres' that belong to
group 'postgres'.

Exuse my stupid question, but launching programs with 'sudo' is exatly
the same as authenticating
before with 'su' (from a permission point of view) ?