[GRASSLIST:6029] Re: Compile grass in a machine, install into another?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Apr 11 14:37:33 EDT 2003

Miguel Cordero wrote:

> I compiled grass5 from the sources into my machine.  But  I want to install
> the binary ones that I obtained in another machine.  Without having to
> recompile.
> I can do it with make or with stable version of  grass install script?
>
>  Or always I must compile in every machine that I want to install the last
> version of grass?

You should be able to copy the binary installation between similar
machines. You need the installation directory (e.g. /usr/local/grass5),
plus the grass5 script (e.g. /usr/local/bin/grass5).

The simplest way is to create a tar file, e.g.:

	tar cf ~/grass.tar /usr/local/grass5 /usr/local/bin/grass5

then copy it to the destination machine and extract it, e.g.:

	tar cCf / ~/grass.tar