[GRASSLIST:6133] Re: nviz startup script error

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 24 13:19:12 EDT 2003

javier garcia wrote:

> I've recently installed grass5.0.2. And I've tried to execute nviz with the
> following result:

> Error in startup script: Togl: X server has no OpenGL GLX extension

Your OpenGL library isn't compatible with your X server.

Basically, you have a "real" OpenGL library, which expects the X
server to do the actual OpenGL rendering (unlike Mesa, which does the
rendering itself).

If you're using XFree86 4.x, you need to have:

    Load	"glx"

in the "Module" section of the XF86Config file.

You can use the "glxinfo" utility to check whether your X server is
set up correctly.

Alternatively, you could use Mesa, which does the rendering itself,
and sends the rendered image to the X server (consequently, it doesn't
need GLX support in the X server).

> I couldn't install readline (could this have any relationship?)

No. The readline library is optional, and is only used by r.mapcalc.