[GRASSLIST:6146] resampling to

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Mon Apr 28 05:41:57 EDT 2003

Probably a dumb question, but I really can't see how to do it. I am
working with the LandScan 2001 worldwide population database
(www.ornl.gov/gist), a 30 second population map for the whole world. In
its original form this consists of a raster of 43200 by 21600 cells with
estimated population counts. I want to resample to rasters with grid
sizes of 1, 2 4 and 8 minutes (21600*10800, 10800*5400 etc). Each grid
cell of a new maps should contain the sum of the four cells of the
underlying higher resolution map. How do I do this? r.resample uses the
nearest neighbour to compute the value of the new raster map;
r.neighbours only works for regions with uneven size, and r.mapcalc
resamples the input map (with nearest neighbour) *before* actually
applying its operators. I just want to compute a new map based on data
from a map with a different resolution.

What am I overlooking?

Jan Hartmann