[GRASSLIST:6147] Re: using Linux 9/GRASS 5.0 having problem with -tcltk option

Greg Sepesi sepesi at eduneer.com
Mon Apr 28 08:59:16 EDT 2003

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Greg Sepesi wrote:
>
> > When I attempt to run
> >
> >       $ grass5 -tcltk
> >
> > the response is
> >
> >       WARNING: The wish command (/home/gjs/ActiveTcl/bin/wish) was not found!
> >       Please check your GRASS_WISH environment variable.
> >
> > When I check the GRASS_WISH environment variable with
> >
> >       GRASS: ~> g.gisenv GRASS_WISH
>
> Note: GRASS_WISH is an actual environment variable, not a GRASS
> variable (unfortunately, some of the GRASS documentation confuses the
> two).
>
> > the response is
> >
> >       /home/gjs/ActiveTcl/bin/wish
> >
> > which seems okay.  Furthermore when I copy and execute that string at a
> > bash prompt, the wish widget appears.
> >
> > I'm a new GRASS user and am hoping to soon be a source contributor.  Any
> > suggestions on how I should get the -tcltk option working?  It appears
> > to me that the wish and tclsh binaries are installed correctly and the
> > GRASS_WISH and GRASS_TCLSH environment variables are defined correctly.
> > Maybe the "Please check your GRASS_WISH environment variable" suggestion
> > is a red herring?
>
> GRASS_WISH is treated as the base name of the wish program (e.g.
> "wish" or "wish8.3"); the startup script looks for that file in each
> directory in your current path.
>
> Adding /home/gjs/ActiveTcl/bin to PATH and undefining GRASS_WISH (or
> setting it to "wish") should work.
>
> It should probably be changed to allow GRASS_WISH to be a full
> pathname.
>
> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

Thanks.  When I removed the full pathname definition of GRASS_WISH, the
-tcltk option worked.

It seems that GRASS_WISH is an over specification ... given the grass5
man page suggests using the PATH environment variable to define the path
to wish and suggests using a symbolic link to handle variants of the
wish filename.

Thanks again,
Greg