[GRASSLIST:879] Re: Flow Accumulation

Jaro Hofierka hofierka at geomodel.sk
Fri Aug 1 02:17:07 EDT 2003

Hi,

I don't remember exactly the methodology of Tarboton, but I think
r.flowmd might be quite close to it. It is similar to r.flow except that
it divides the flow to two adjacent downslope cells. So it has a small
diffussion effect. Both r.flow and r.flowmd use the D-infinity algorithm
in terms of flow direction defined by aspect, but just r.flowmd uses
multiple-flow distribution (disperses the flow to more just 1 cell).
The main advantage of r.terraflow is that it contains very fast and
efficient algorithms including depression filling, etc. Maybe you can
compare these modules to see differences. Any improvement is welcome.

Jaro