[GRASSLIST:914] Handling millions of points in GRASS...

David Finlayson dfinlays at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 6 12:23:56 EDT 2003

I have a bathymetry project that is attempting to collect and map every
sounding ever collected for Puget Sound, Washington. So far, I have
several million soundings stored in a MySQL database. But with the new
Sonar aboard our vessel, the new interest in bathymetric LIDAR and
cooperation with NOAA, that number is expected to grow exponentially in
the next few years.

What is the best way to get this data into GRASS?  What's the best way
to manage it?

I know that RDBMS support is coming soon and that (apparently) PostGIS
is already functional on some platforms (Linux, Cygwin?).  But what is
the word from the trenches?  I have been very happy with MySQL and would
rather use this if functionality is comparable to PostGres, but it would
be better to move now rather than wait if necessary...

A major task that needs to be handled is some way to select points both
by spatial location (polygons not boxes) and by attributes such as age,
survey, and platform.  Currently, I have a table of soundings (x,y,z,ID)
and a table of headers  (ID,date,platform,etc.) and I load it into
ArcGIS (ESRI, inc.) through ODBC where I can grid up the data into
rasters for further analysis. Hence, I am currently dependent on Windows.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--
David Finlayson
School of Oceanography

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays