[GRASSLIST:963] Newbie Problem with Raster File Import GRASS 5

Dave Edelman dedelman at iname.com
Sun Aug 17 14:30:59 EDT 2003

I'm sure that this is a pure ignorance issue but I don't see anything
obvious in the docs so a gentle pointer to the appropriate TFM or a direct
to the point answer sure would be appreciated.

I set up a location with what I think are appropriate parameters.

g.region gives me this:

CURRENT REGION: N=41:37:48.36N  S=41:32:48.48N  RES=0:00:00.36  ROWS=833
                E=74:53:43.44W  W=75:02:35.52W  RES=0:00:00.36  COLS=1478
PROJECTION: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
ZONE:       0
DATUM:      ** unknown (default WGS84) **
ELLIPSOID:  wgs84

I have a tiff image from topozone with an associated tfw file that shows
this:

5.0800000000
0.0000000000
0.0000000000
-5.0800000000
495812.6492529264
4609362.2176114470

When I attempt to import the file I get this:

TIFF Directory at offset 0x8
  Subfile Type: multi-page document (2 = 0x2)
  Image Width: 2657 Image Length: 2165
  Resolution: 150, 150 pixels/inch
  Bits/Sample: 8
  Compression Scheme: None
  Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 3
  Rows/Strip: 1
  Planar Configuration: single image plane
  Page Number: 0-1
  Looking for TIFF World file ...   Found it!
WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for North
ERROR: couldn't set cellhd.

I suspect that the region's latitude doesn't accommodate the tfw file's
parameters but I'll be darned (or worse) if I can figure how the region
needs to be changed.

The raster file is really the set of boundries that I wanted, how do I
convert the tfw file's easting/northing information to lat/lon (if that is
the appropriate way to fix the issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave