[GRASSLIST:965] Importing a Scanned Map?

cmarshall cmarshall at jlc.net
Sun Aug 17 19:20:31 EDT 2003

I am new to GRASS and just getting started.  I have a scanned image of a
USGS topographic map that I would like to start with and have been
working through the tutorial in grass50_tutorial_en.pdf.  On page 79
step "d.", second bullet it says "Change to the GRASS monitor.  Here
display the imported map."  How is this done?  I have launched "d.mon
x0" in step c.  run i.points as stated at the beginning of step d. and I
have a blank monitor screen.  Now what?  Anything I have been able to
think of to get a map display either just doesn't work or generates a
error.  It seems there is a bit of "magic" here that is not explained.
      The scanned image was imported with r.in.tiff.  r.in.gdal seg
faults every time I run it.  I have also converted the image to PNG and
r.in.png blows up because it is asking specifically for libpng.so.2.
The Linux installation is Mandrake 9.1 just freshly installed.

Chris Marshall