[GRASSLIST:1073] Re: r.in.gdal installation

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 29 20:36:00 EDT 2003

Martin Wegmann wrote:

> > didn't use --with-gdal (which results in r.in.gdal linking directly to
> > libgdal), you should already have r.in.gdal; you just need to install
> > libgdal in a suitable location.
>
> how do I install libgdal (as well with gmake5 as you described?)

GDAL isn't part of GRASS. It's built and installed the same way as
most packages, i.e. download, extract, configure, make, install.

GDAL is at:

	http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/

> and what is a suitable location?

Any of:

1. $GISBASE/lib, i.e. /usr/local/grass5/lib, if GRASS is installed
under /usr/local/grass5.

2. $GDAL_HOME, i.e. set GDAL_HOME to the directory containing
libgdal.1.1.so.

3. Wherever the loader normally looks for shared libraries, i.e. in a
directory which is listed in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH or in /etc/ld.so.conf.
For ld.so.conf, you have to run "ldconfig" after installing the
library.

> as far as I understood your gmake5 instruction, I do have to reinstall the
> grass5 source so that the files are partially build/configured before I will
> be able to install libgdal, don't I?.

No. If you already have the r.in.gdal binary, just download, build and
install libgdal.