[GRASSLIST:2047] Re: mail and i.rectify (OS X email)

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Sat Dec 13 10:55:19 EST 2003

Mac OS X has mail and sendmail BUT if I recall correctly, by default
sendmail is not configured to be able to do anything.

Actually, OS 10.2 and lower have sendmail.  There are sites out there
on how to configure, e.g. http://www.bombich.com/mactips/sendmail.html

OS 10.3 came with Postfix instead, but it emulates sendmail.  It also
does not seem to be set up right to send mail "out of the box".  I see
there are instructions to fix it at
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031025022626398  - I
have not tried this myself.

Scott Mitchell

On Dec 12, 2003, at 16:17, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Ian Macmillan wrote:
>
>> Hi all, this is only sort of a grass question, but I am hoping that
>> someone will
>> know the answer.  I am using i.rectify a lot lately, and when it is
>> running, it
>> says that it will notify me by mail when it is finished.  I am using
>> mac os x

> It just invokes the "mail" command with the name of the current user:

> In order for this to work on MacOSX, there are two requirements:
>
> 1. You need a working "mail" program. In turn, this will have
> requirements of its own, i.e. a working local mail system. E.g. the
> mailx package which is normally used on Linux runs "sendmail" to send
> mail, so you need either sendmail or some other MTA which provides a
> "sendmail" program (or script) which is at least minimally compatible
> with sendmail.
>
> 2. getpwuid(getuid()) has to return a username which is acceptable to
> the local mail system.
>
> On a typical Unix system, both of the above can be safely taken for
> granted. I wouldn't know about MacOSX, though.
>
> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

----
Scott Mitchell, Assistant Professor, Carleton University
Department of Geography & Environmental Studies, Loeb A209
Mailing:  Loeb B349, 1125 Colonel By Dr., Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
1-613-520-2600 x2695 Fax: 613-520-4301 Scott_Mitchell at carleton.ca