[GRASSLIST:2114] New Location

Maliheh malihehs at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 05:34:33 EST 2003

Hello dear GRASS list,

I want to describe my problem from the beginning for you, I wish you can and you want to help me and also it can be helpful for others.

I want to create a new location for my region; I don’t have any digital map that match my need, I have just a paper map and a GPS receiver, with use of gpsdrive I noted coordinates of four points on my map. Gpsdrive shows the coordinates like this:

Latitude: 35.73581    Longitude: 51.40387

And also I know that my region is between 34:52N , 34:21N  and 50:10E , 53:10E; and my map scale is 1/12000 and the resolution of scanned map is 100dpi.

Now start the grass5.7 for creation new location:

a.      LOCATION:        test________             (enter list for a list of locations)

MAPSET:            root__________             (or mapsets within a location)

DATABASE:   /usr/local/src/GIS/grassdata

b.      LOCATION <test> - doesn't exist

Would you like to create location <test>? (y/n) y

c.      To create a new LOCATION, you will need the following information:

1. The coordinate system for the database

        x, y (for imagery and other unreferenced data)

        Latitude-Longitude

        UTM

        Other Projection

2. The zone for the UTM database

   and all the necessary parameters for projections other than

   Latitude-Longitude, x, y, and UTM

3. The coordinates of the area to become the default region

   And the grid resolution of this region

4. A short, one-line description or title for the location

Do you have all this information for location <test>? (y/n) y

d.      Please specify the coordinate system for location <test>

A   x, y

B   Latitude - Longitude

C   UTM

D   Other Projection

RETURN to cancel

x, y coordinate system? (y/n) [y] y

e.      Please enter a one line description for location <test>

> Create a new Location

Create a new Location

Ok? (y/n) [y] y

f.       DEFINE THE DEFAULT REGION

                       ====== DEFAULT REGION ====

                       |     NORTH EDGE: 36               |

WEST EDGE     |                                             | EAST EDGE

50                  |                                             | 53

                       |     SOUTH EDGE: 34                |

                       ======================

           PROJECTION: 0 (x, y)                        ZONE: 0

                             GRID RESOLUTION

East-West:     0.03

North-South:   0.02

g.      projection:   0 (x,y)

zone:       0

north:       36

south:      34

east:        53

west:       50

e-w res:    0.02  (Changed to conform to grid)

n-s res:     0.03  (Changed to conform to grid)

total rows:          100

total cols:            100

total cells:           10000

Do you accept this region? (y/n) [n] > y

LOCATION <test> has been created!

I know that in some steps specially those with red highlight, I’ve done something wrong, but I don’t know how I should correct it. Because when I use g.region –pm, it says: PROJ_INFO file not found for location “test”.

Therefore in other steps like use of r.in.gdal I have problems too.

Would you please help me, it’s so important for me. Your response will be sooooooooo appreciated, and I wish for you the best.

Regards

Maliheh