[GRASSLIST:5431] Mac libraries

Quim Soler i Subils SOLERSUBILS at telefonica.net
Sat Feb 1 12:34:32 EST 2003

Hello everybody,

Maybe can I help with the last problems refered to Mac libraries. However
first of all should I tell you that I'm using the grass5pre4 sources and I
haven't fink installed on my computer.

The problems wich arise during the configure process usually can be resolved
this way:

./configure --with-tcltk-libs=/the_path_until_the_libraries

in my case

./configure --with-tcltk-libs=/usr/local/lib because I had put them there.

I don't use tcltk8.3 or tcltk8.4 because the 8.0 which can be downloaded
from grass servers still works without problems. Moreover, I have deleted
from my Mac the 8.4 which I had installed to avoid problems with versions.
My advice is not to have many versions of tcltk arround.

And some days ago I suffered a similar problem with my tiff library, which I
had put in /usr/local/lib. The configure didn't find it although I put
--with-tiff-libs=/usr/local/lib. Finally I did
    cd /usr/local/lib
    ranlib libtiff.a
    ./configure --with-tiff-libs=/usr/local/lib

After that I had no more problems and the configure script reached to end
and grass compiles.

I suspect that grass doesn't like libraries.dylib and prefers libraries.a
(my tiff and tcltk libraries are .a). I will do a little research on this...

Finally, if you want to get or recompile the tiff or tcltk libraries you can
find them throw the grass page
(http://grass.itc.it/grass5/source/REQUIREMENTS.html). As Glynn Clements has
written, grass is a program which runs throw X11 and it doesn't like the tcl
or the openGL libraries provided by Apple in /system/library, which are
written for Quartz. You must say to configure script to use the libraries
you have installed elsewhere (Apple's X11 implementation has "good" openGL
libraries in /usr/x11r6/lib)

Hope this helps,

Quim Soler