[GRASSLIST:5471] Re: OS X Installation Help

BABA Yoshihiko baba at daido-it.co.jp
Wed Feb 5 02:05:23 EST 2003

Michael Mio wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I
> have not been able to find any help on it. Sorry if this is repetitive.

Yes, indeed.

> I am having a hard time installing Grass 5.0 for OS X v 10.2.3 using
> Apple's X11. I downloaded the precompiled binary and unzipped it and
> installed it. When I type grass5 I get a no file or directory can be
> found error. Once I have ran the install script what do I need to do
> version besides Apple's X11?
>
> The directions online say
>
> "You will likely need to add X11R6/bin to your search path and set your
> DISPLAY variable if you are using the Terminal application."
>
> How do I do that?

That's what you should do.  In my case, I extracted it and moved the
whole grass5 directory to /usr/local, and it finally recognised the init
script.

Run X11
Rename the folder to "grass5" in your home.

In Terminal,

mkdir /usr/local
mv ~/grass5 /usr/local/

setenv PATH /usr/local/grass5:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH

This may not be a good way. But it worked.

--
BABA Yoshihiko