[GRASSLIST:5499] Re: problem in g.select.pg

Miha STAUT mihastaut at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 07:47:24 EST 2003

>>>cannot

>>>Please post the output of the following command:
>>>
>>>for i in `rpm -qa | grep -i postgres`; do echo -e "\n" $i ":"; rpm -ql
>>>$i | grep -i libpq\.so; done
>
>>Here it is: (./psql_why a ex. file containing your comands)
>>
>>postgresql-server-7.2.2-1 :
>>rpmq: no arguments given for query
>>./psql_why: line 3: postgresql-server-7.2.2-1: command not found
>
>..
>
>O.K., maybe i should be a bit more verbose.
>I think you're missing a package in your installation, namely the package
>containing the file "libpq.so". To ensure my assumption i want you to check
>your postgres packages, whether there is a file called "libpq.so" on your
>system.
>How to find out?
>The dirty one-liner i sent you would do, but you have to write it in one
>line. Or like this:
>
>#-------snip-------------------
>
>#Get a list of installed packages
>#with the word "postgres" in their name:
>for i in `rpm -qa | grep -i postgres`;
>#now take every package found and ...
>do
>   #... print the package's name:
>   echo -e "\n" $i ":";
>   #... and print all filenames containing the string "libpq.so"
>   rpm -ql $i | grep -i libpq\.so;
>done
>
>#-------snip---------------------
>
>On my SuSE-Linux system the result looks like this:
>
>#-------snap---------------------
>
>wichmann at i3:~> for i in `rpm -qa | grep -i postgres`;
> > do
> > echo -e "\n" $i ":";
> > rpm -ql $i | grep -i libpq\.so;
> > done
>
>  postgresql-libs-7.2-90 :
>/usr/lib/libpq.so.2
>/usr/lib/libpq.so.2.0
>/usr/lib/libpq.so.2.2
>
>  postgresql-perl-7.2-90 :
>
>  postgresql-tcl-7.2-90 :
>
>  postgresql-server-7.2-90 :
>
>  postgresql-7.2-90 :
>
>  postgresql-tk-7.2-90 :
>
>  postgresql-devel-7.2-90 :
>/usr/lib/libpq.so
>
>#-------snap-----------------------
>
>As you can see, there are two packages named "postgresql-libs" and
>"postgresql-devel" containing (different versions) of the file you are
>missing. I don't know how they are called on your redhat system, but i
>guess their names are similar. You have to find these on your redhat cd's
>and install them.
>Alternatively you can try and remove your grass installation and install
>the grass rpm packages provided by the intevation guys:
>
>http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/freegis/intevation/freegis/gnu-linux-i586/updates/
>
>Ingo

I managed to get Postrges/GRASS interface to work by copying the libpq.so.2
and changing its name to libpq.so. Is this fine or should I correct the
mistake I made as you said. I run RedHat 7.3 with GRASS 5.0.0 and PostgreSQL
7.2.
Is this the reason I can not install the R/PostgreSQL interface?

Thanks, Miha Staut