[GRASSLIST:5501] Re: Can't resize monitor.

Matt Doggett mdoggett at coas.oregonstate.edu
Fri Feb 7 11:58:47 EST 2003

On
> Behalf Of Glynn Clements
> Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 5:23 PM
> To: mdoggett at coas.oregonstate.edu
> Cc: GRASSLIST at baylor.edu
> Subject: [GRASSLIST:5495] Re: Can't resize monitor.
>

> It seems to be a bug in certain window managers; dtwm and BlackBox
> have both been reported as having problems, fvwm and twm both work.

How could it be a bug in the window manager?  I could resize monitors
just fine in 4.3 but not in 5.0.  GRASS changed...my wm did not.

> XDRIVER itself adds geometry constraints when a client connects, and
> removes them when the client finishes. This was added to prevent users
> from resizing the monitor in the middle of an interactive program
> (e.g. v.digit, d.what.*), as the programs can't handle this.

So are you telling me that Grass5.0 is programmed to lock the monitor
window so that a user cannot resize it once it is open and selected? If
so, this is a fundamentally different way of handling monitor windows
than Grass4.3.

> The problem is that certain window managers honour the geometry
> constraints even after they have been removed. You can confirm this
> using the "xprop" utility.

I've used the xprop utility and get the following results.  The main
thing is that Grass5.0 is calling the XDRIVER and specifying tighter
constraints for the monitor (e.g. not specifying max/min sizes).  If
this is normal, fine, then I can deal with it.  The main thing is that
I'm just used to the Grass4.3 functionality which lets you resize your
monitor window while it's open and selected.  If Grass5.0 is programmed
not to let the user do it, then so be it.

GRASS4.3 (notice that it specifies a min and max size...allowing
resizable monitors):

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                user specified location: 10, 10
                user specified size: 450 by 400
                program specified minimum size: 0 by 0
                program specified maximum size: 1260 by 994

GRASS5.0 (notice the fixed size.  The WM is doing exactly what GRASS5.0
is telling it to do?):

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified size: 640 by 480

> Also, if you start the monitor without selecting it:
>
> 	d.mon -s start=x0
>
> you should be able to resize it. You then need to select it with:
>
> 	d.mon select=x0

Thanks for the tip, deselecting the monitor will allow me to resize it.

-MD

PS.  Is there a document anywhere that describes the major
changes/differences between Grass4.3 and Grass5.0?