[GRASSLIST:5495] Re: Can't resize monitor.

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Feb 6 20:23:00 EST 2003

Matt Doggett wrote:

> It has been mentioned before, but I thought I would resurrect this
> issue.
>
> Problem:  Using Grass5.0, we cannot resize the Xwindow monitor created
> using d.mon.
>
> Background:
>
> - We just upgraded to Grass5.0.x finally after many years of hanging
> onto Grass4.3!  Grass4.3 did not have this problem, you could resize the
> window monitor all you wanted (just be sure to do d.erase and redraw the
> screen).
>
> - This problem occurs using CDE in Solaris8 on a Sun workstation, and
> using RedHat Linux 8.0 on an Intel workstation.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.	Any resolution for this issue?  Is it a system setting or will
> Grass5.0 simply not allow you to resize the window?

It seems to be a bug in certain window managers; dtwm and BlackBox
have both been reported as having problems, fvwm and twm both work.

XDRIVER itself adds geometry constraints when a client connects, and
removes them when the client finishes. This was added to prevent users
from resizing the monitor in the middle of an interactive program
(e.g. v.digit, d.what.*), as the programs can't handle this.

The problem is that certain window managers honour the geometry
constraints even after they have been removed. You can confirm this
using the "xprop" utility.

> 2.	Several people have reported a "d.resize" command.  I find no
> evidence of a d.resize.the command doesn't exist!  Any explanation for
> this?

It's present in 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 (in $GISBASE/scripts).

> Without the ability to resize the montor window, it will be very
> difficult to simply jump into Grass5.  Screen real estate is a premium
> and window resizing is an important function!

The initial size of a monitor is determined by the GRASS_WIDTH and
GRASS_HEIGHT environment variables, e.g.

	GRASS_WIDTH=512
	export GRASS_WIDTH
	GRASS_HEIGHT=384
	export GRASS_HEIGHT

Also, if you start the monitor without selecting it:

	d.mon -s start=x0

you should be able to resize it. You then need to select it with:

	d.mon select=x0

However, after this, the problematic WMs won't let you resize it.