[GRASSLIST:5555] Re: GRASS 5.0.1 compilation issues

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Feb 14 11:06:11 EST 2003

Wayne Gibson wrote:

> I'm attempting to compile GRASS 5.0.1 on a SunBlade 1000.  There are quite a few
> "failed" messages in the config.log file. I assume that is normal.

Yes; error messages in config.log are normal.

> When I
> "make" the package, the only errors written to "error.log" are
>
> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.tiff (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/display/devices/PNGdriver (ignored)
>
> I assume these can be ignored.

Yes (provided that you don't actually need to use those modules).

However, if you can locate the corresponding error messages (in the
output from "make"), I would be interested in seeing them, as they may
indicate that something should be fixed.

> Now I attempt to start GRASS and I get the error message:
>
>    Sorry, I need to know a more specific terminal type than "".^M

This is probably from the curses library; it certainly isn't part of
set_data itself.

The message implies that the TERM environment variable is either unset
or empty. TERM should be set to the name of the type of terminal in
use (e.g. "xterm", "vt100" etc).

> I've tracked it down to the program call "set_data" found in "etc/Init.sh".
> When I replace the "set_data" program with the one from the pre-compiled SUN
> package, all works just fine.
>
> I thought it might be a library issue so I ran "ldd" to see which dynamic
> libraries are required:
>
> ldd /usr/local/grass5/etc/set_data
>         libncurses.so.5 =>       /usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.5
>         libcurses.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libcurses.so.1

This doesn't look too good.