[GRASSLIST:5590] how to import pre-projected map?

Christian Keßler c.kessler at yifan.net
Tue Feb 18 06:19:30 EST 2003

Hi there!

Just taking my first steps on grass... What I'm missing so far is the
way to import a scanned, pre-projected map (Mercator projection, known
parameters) and convert it into a grass map (as I understand this would
be n,e angular coordinates - is this right?).

I've taken the tutorial steps on converting a scanned map:
- importing of scanned map into a temporary x,y location
- converting to a second location (with projection setup same as paper
map projection) via i.points/i.rectify. To my understanding this step
(at least for 1st order transformation) only corrects for basic
transformation error (rotation, scaling, translation). What is still
missing is the conversion from Mercator projection to direct angular
coordinate raster map data.

What I would i.rectify to do is to look up the projection in the target
location, and do an additional transformation to correct for this. like
that: a) scaling/rotation/translation for scanning error b)
elipsoid-projected x,y coordinate to n,e angular coordinates (in my
case of mercator projection in target location).

So i.rectify didn't bring me there so far. What's the way to go for
calibration/conversion from a pre-projected map to a calibrated grass
raster map?

Bye & Thanks, Christian