[GRASSLIST:5599] Re: r.in.hdf

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Feb 19 03:13:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:54:14PM +0900, Kenlo Nishida wrote:
> Dear Dr. Neteler, Bartholdy, and GRASS users:
>
> Thank you for giving me advices on r.in.hdf. Following Dr. Neteler's suggestion,
> I tried r.in.gdal instead of r.in.hdf.
>
> First, I downloaded the latest GDAL package from
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/openev/openev_FW_linux_1.5.4.tar.gz
> and installed it to /usr/local/open_FW/. Then I compiled grass5.0.1 with
>   $ ./configure --with-gdal=/usr/local/openev_FW/ --without-odbc --without-fftw --without-postgres
>   $ make
>   # make install
> But r.in.gdal returned an error message when I run it. Then I added a path to the GDAL library:
>   GRASS> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/grass5/lib:/usr/local/openev_FW/lib
> This was the key. Then I successfully imported SPOT-Vegetation HDF data with r.in.gdal.
> It's really nice.

Congratulations!

Please note that the pure GDAL libs are here:
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/
   -> files gdal*.tar.gz

[...]
> As for MODIS, I know MODIS-Reprojection-Tool (MRT) is the best choice for such a
> beginner like me, but as far as I tried, MRT runs only under GUI of Java. I wondered whether
> there might have been another choice which can provide batch (script) processing for lots of
> MODIS HDF files at one time.

The MRT also supports batch mode processing (I use it like that).
In the bin/ directory is 'resample'

MODIS Reprojection Tool v3.0a December 2002
Usage: resample -p parameter_file [options]

which reprojects a MODIS HDF file to a different format/projection
on command line.

Kind regards

 Markus