[GRASSLIST:5686] d.mon stop=CELL and Mac OSX

John Chesnut jchesnut at slonet.org
Thu Feb 27 12:07:12 EST 2003

Questions regarding Grass 5.0 (the OpenOSX binary distribution)

Configuration:
	Mac G4,
  	OSX 10.2.3,
  	X11 beta 0.2 (window manager),
  	Wish 8.4.1 (tcltk interface)
  	Grass 5.0.0 binary from OpenOSX

  Issue:
   I am having difficulty saving a completed composite map to file.
The following approaches do not work.

  CELL driver fails on d.mon stop=CELL
  does not write a CELL file, and leaves a "zombie" d.mon window and
CELL process which must be killed manuallly

"p.map.new" fails in the "keyboard" option interactive window after
p.select painter=preview (only option) is run.

"ps.map input=- output=map.ps" fails after creating a zero byte
map.ps file: the process does not exit.

the PNG monitor is apparently not part of the binary distribution (is
it available for Mac OS X ?

xFig command is not found. xfig is probably not available for Mac OS X.

cell.out.tiff script does not work because grasstcltk window extends
off display (1280x960), and the run button cannot be accessed !

I do not know which of these failures are due to the specific binary
I have, and which are inherent limitation of the Mac OS X-X11-Wish
configuration.

If anyone has an approach which will save a composite map (vector,
raster, and graphic grid elements) to files under a Mac system I
would appreciate hearing the specific approach used.

-john chesnut
Treetotalers