[GRASSLIST:5695] r.in.gdal problem?

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 28 12:51:43 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm using the r.in.gdal module to import ARCINFO GRID format raster
files and I seem to be getting a shift in the extent of the data on
import:

The files contain 1 by 1 degree resolution raster data. In Arc, the NS
extent of the raster data is:

bottom edge of southernmost grid square = 90S
topmost edge of northernmost square = 77N

The raster therefore contains 167 rows of data.

When I import this, the file extent is as follows:

> GRASS 5.0.0 > r.info temp

> ------+
>  | Layer:    temp                           Date: Fri Feb 28 10:14:32
> 2003    |
>  | Mapset:   dorme                          Login of Creator: dorme
>  | Location: global
>  | DataBase: /Users/dorme/grass
>  | Title:     ( temp )
>
> |----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------|
>  |   Type of Map:  raster              Number of Categories: 1
>  |   Data Type:    CELL
>  |   Rows:         167
>  |   Columns:      557
>  |   Total Cells:  93019
>  |        Projection: UTM (zone 13)
>  |            N:       77.5    S:      -89.5   Res:     1
>  |            E:      330.5    W:     -226.5   Res:     1
>  |   Range of data:    min =  0 max = 1
>  |   Data Source:
>  |   Data Description:
>  |    generated by r.in.gdal

> ------+

The number of rows (and columns) are correct but the extent is peculiar
- I'm guessing that r.info returns the centre points of the grid cells
but if this is the case then the centre of the northernmost cell should
be at 76.5N not 77.5N.  This also makes the reported southern extent
odd since the 89.5 S implies that there is still a gridsquare that has
90S as a bottom edge. Using d.where to inspect the location visually
shows that the top of the northernmost cell in grass is now at 78N and
the bottom of the lowermost cell is at 89S.

Something doesn't add up - I'm expecting to find that it may be me but
can anyone clear this up?

System details:
Grass 5.0.0 running under Mac OSX (10.2.4) within Apple's X11 (v.2)
Many thanks,
David

Dr. David Orme

Department of Biological Sciences,